- Most people here have got at least one foot in the water...and they do say a lot of the babies are born web-footed, like ducks. (Mrs Barrable, CC2).
The lakes are linked by the Bure and Yare rivers and smaller rivers, canals and dykes. This network of waterways makes a labyrinth of navigable water well-known as a suitable training ground for new sailors, in Ransome's time and today.
The County of Norfolk is a low-lying county in the east of England and on the North Sea. Norwich is the administrative centre and main city.
The counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire make up the area known as East Anglia.
Ransome and NorfolkEdit
Norfolk Broads in the booksEdit
The Norfolk Broads feature in the following Swallows and Amazons series books:
- Coot Club and
- The Big Six (mainly around Horning)
- Peter Duck (as home territory of Mr Duck and his wherry Arrow of Norwich)
- the incomplete story 'Coots in the North'
- the story fragment 'Their Own Story', which describes the composition of Peter Duck by the Swallows and Amazons on board a wherry in winter
- wikipedia:The Broads (Norfolk Broads and Suffolk Broads refers to specific parts of The Broads)