List of boatbuilders mentioned in the Swallows and Amazons series:
Boatbuilders and boatyards in Horning: The Death and Glories are boatbuilders’ sons (CC2) or Boatbuilders’ children (CC28). Their dads all work (and have a midday pint) at Horning (BS2); Pete’s dad at Jonnatts (CN1) and Joe’s dad at Hannams (BS21). Bill’s dad presumably also works at one of these, or at another Horning boatbuilder if there is one.
- Jonnatt's of Horning, sail loft used to out Pete's loose tooth (BS1); Pete's dad works there (CN1)
- Hannam's of Horning: Joe's dad works there (BS21)
- The awning for Titmouse is made by old Jonas the sailmaker (CC3).
- To keep track of Margoletta Joe says that We'll tell 'em (Coots) to telephone to Dad's yard, to give us a warning (CC9)
- There was an old inn at the bend, the Swan. Then there was a staithe with a couple of yachts tied up to it. Beyond the staithe were big boat-sheds, like those they had seen at Wroxham.
elsewhere in Norfolk
Boatbuilders or boat yards in Norfolk other than in Horning:
- Rodley's of Wroxham, own Margoletta (BS)
- Sonning's of Potter Heigham, boats cast off and shackles stolen by George Owden (BS)
at the Lake
Boatbuilders or boat yards at the Lake:
- Rio boatbuilders: Old James, Robert, and a boy "hardly older than John" (SD8 & PM2,15). Old James is shown in a sketch of the launching of Scarab on the dustjacket of PM (which was not included in the book).
- When sailing in the fog they hear the noise of hammerings, and the chug, chug of a small petrol engine, and the rattle of shafting, and every now and then the long "whoosh" of a circular saw slicing through a plank. "The boatyards" said John, "where I was with Captain Flint. Let's go and have a look at Swallow" (SD32).
- The Boatbuilder at Pin Mill who says about Jim Brading: .. he'd trust him anywhere (WD3). (Possible Native prototype: Harry King.)
- the nearest boatbuilder to Secret Water to fix the bent pintle on the Wizard; who is Up the town creek ... A good one close to the Yacht Club (SW22).
- Naval dockyard of the Three Islands: They're building a junk said John ... Naval dockyard ... Visitors not allowed said Captain Flint (ML17).
- Noah: Nancy says that Uncle Jim's quite right .... He said you were bound to be late with her because the only boatbuilder who ever finished a boat on time was Noah, and he only did it because he knew he'd be drowned if he didn't (PM2). See Wikipedia: Noah